Friday, May 19, 2006

THE DOUBLE NEGATIVE

I'm getting a little sick of having people spout off the term "multimedia" as though they know what they're talking about. Yes, you know who you are.

Because "media", people, means more than one medium. Media is the plural of medium. So, "multimedia" - what's that? Is that, like, many plurals of medium? Medium to the power of ten? (Medium to the power of ten would, of course, be extra large.)

There's no such thing as a double plural. Either there's one item - singular - or there's more than one - plural. There's no "even more than more". Plurals have that covered.

When I drive in my klown car, I'm not using multiroads. They're just roads. "Roads" - we've covered all eventualities right there, d'you see?

I'm not sure if there's a rule for this, but I do know that two negatives make a positive, so it follows that two plurals make a single. So, multimedia - that's just a medium you have there, I think. But, then, it's true what they say - less is more. Or should that be lesses is multimore? Eurgh! Tough language lesson!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home