Wednesday, April 05, 2006

MY ONE CENTS...

Is 1.99 fooling anyone? It's £2. That's what you're paying there. Two pounds, two dollars, two euros. We're wise to the .99, now, friends. Let it go. Stop clogging up my pockets with your foul pennies.

When I say "my pockets" I'm actually using shorthand. What I really mean is my pockets, my desk, that drawer beside my bed, that strange little saucer by the door, my cupboard, any board game lacking a playing piece, the back of my sofa, and any other flat surface, partially hidden nook, or vessel that I can ignore in the general, day-to-day living at Klown College.

The pennies are gradually taking over the world by sheer weight of numbers. They're the insects of the monetary system. Even after a nuclear holocaust, there will still be the pennies, scrabbling around, filling our wallets and purses with their coppery misery.

"How much for the roast, irradiated rat?"

"One ninety-nine, guv."

"Eurgh!"

This has been the 200th Krusty entry, incidentally. And, hey - no change.

1 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Steve Goble said...

Here in New Zealand, the smallest unit of legal tender is the 5c coin.

Yet they still advertise the .99 prices.

Then, when you get to the checkout, what they do, is they actually round it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home