Tuesday, February 07, 2006

THE PUT DOWN

Is it really necessary for Superman to say "Up, up and away" when he's taking off? He flies, I get it. But do we really need the two "ups" there? The first "up" - sure, he's taking off, up is the direction. In some ways it's like using the indicators on a car. If you're passing via a catwalk or a cliff top, that initial "up" lets you know to put on the brakes, take a bit more care, keep your eyes open because Superman is changing lanes.

But with the second "up" Superman is really just making a performance of the whole thing there. Isn't he just rubbing it in for we non-kryptonians? You know, the normal people who can't fly. Hasn't Superman made his point with just one "up"? Wouldn't "Up and away" cover him for most eventualities?

To me, it's like Superman is really saying...

Up "You can't fly? Me - oh, surrrrre, I can fly. I can go up..."

up and away "... and then I can do some more up, before finally heading for away. You can't even do up, huh? Boy, sucks to be you, huh?"

If I ever bump into Superman I'm heading in the opposite direction. They'll be some "Walk, walk and away" going on that day, my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home