Tuesday, March 21, 2006

THE SOUND OF SILENCE

What is the perverse rationale behind the silent treatment? "I'm not going to talk to you, but I'm going to be right here, right next to you, not talking to you." I've known a few people who've indulged in the silent treatment as their weapon of choice (and if they're reading this - please, make yourself known, leave a blank message in the comments field!). It's so pointless.

I mean, if you're mad at me, tell me. Otherwise, I'm not only ignorant but I'm living in some weird Buster Keaton movie now.

Is it possible for monks to give each other the silent treatment? Because to them, the silent treatment is normal. It's part of what they're signed up for there. Would they even know if they were getting the silent treatment bestowed upon them?

Thinking about that reminds me of that famous monk morality story - The Monk Who Didn't Cry Wolf. That's why you never see sheep in a monastery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home