Thursday, October 20, 2005

MADVERTISING

Well, don't look at me, I don't get it either. Those adverts they put in magazines that they pretend are part of the content but, in fact, what they are is plain weird.

This week's Radio Times, movie section - "Cinema loves a life less ordinary", small reviews of E.T. and Aliens, and what is it advertising? A car. Yes, when you think of the most successful movie of the 80s, when you think of a cute alien with an elongated neck and a glowing finger and Steven Spielberg's triumphant conquering of the silver screen for all ages, we want you to also think of the new Peugeot 1007.

Does E.T. know that this travesty is being perpetrated? Because, if he did I think he wouldn't be phoning home so much as phoning his lawyer. E.T. is certainly a fine film and, for all I know, the Peugeot 1007 may be a fine car. But there is no connection. None. At all.

I've got an idea. Why doesn’t the head of the advertising company just print a picture of his wife on holiday in the south of France and his kids at their boarding school dormitory with the caption "I can only afford this if you buy this car. I am bereft of ideas this week, so please just buy it. I wish I had the ability to truly sell you on the merits of this vehicle but, frankly, I'm not very good at my job. Buy the car."

I mean, is it really that hard? Are Peugeot actually paying this guy to come up with this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home