Monday, August 08, 2005

WALKMAN ETIQUETTE

There's a lot of pressure on people to get a personal music system these days. Everyone's talking about downloading music to their iPod, getting stuff transferred to their MP3 player, storing their favourite tunes on their mobile phone. The advertising budget for these things is astronomical, you can’t seem to move for trailers full of people dancing in silhouette to bongo drums.

So, can someone please tell me what the rule is about talking to people with headphones on? Because, frankly, it's got me stumped. Do you go in with the shouting? The "Hello? Hell-oh? Can I just...? Would you mind...? Hell-oh?!" Or do you do the little wave, catching their eyeline, mouthing the words "Excuse me" before you start conversing?

It's a serious issue, I feel - there needs to be some kind of ruling on this already. We need to establish a universal sign that means "Turn off your music a second, buddy, we need to talk."

There are two standard reactions from a headphone junkie when you try to talk to them. They take the headphone from one ear and either look bewildered or they look incensed.

I don't understand the incensed reaction. It's like: we're all participating in the universal continuance of mankind, here. You chose to exclude yourself. Don't look all offended when I have to bother you because you're still taking up space in this crazy thing we like to call society. Because you're only listening to music - we can still see you, you're still here.

However, I love to get the bewildered reaction - that really makes my day. People take off those headphones and they're like "What? What did I miss? Is it the end of the world? I was listening to Hilary Duff's greatest hits - did I miss the end of the world because of that?" When I see that look, I just want to say, "Yes - yes, you did."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home