Wednesday, July 13, 2005

THE NAME AND SHAME

I cannot believe that anyone is actually called Lois. I just can't. I hear Lois, I think Lane.

Lois Lane is the only famous Lois. No other Lois ever made so much as a mark on the history of mankind. If you call your daughter Lois, you're pretty well admitting that you've given up on her before you've even started. Unless she becomes a reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper AND tracks down the world's first superhero, that kid is never going to amount to anything.

Which isn't to imply that I don't like the name Lois. In fact, I think Lois is a lovely name. I'd be only too pleased to see more people being called Lois. There are many worse names than Lois, I can assure you...

One of the original artists who drew Superman and Lois Lane in the 1940s was called Wayne Boring. Yes, his surname really was Boring. Now, I don't know how interesting this guy was, but he surely had the cards stacked against him from the get-go.

But that's not the worst name...

Who calls their child Sinbad? That's a tough name to give a kid. It's a name made up of "Sin" and "Bad". It's an open invitation to see that kid go off the rails at a really young age. You call your kid Sinbad - he's committing murder by the time he's reached school age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home