Tuesday, October 04, 2005

THE HUGO AWARDS

Scent manufacturers Hugo Boss are kicking up a stink with a heavy advertising campaign for their Hugo fragrance for men in the UK just now.

The tough manly voice over states "Fast cars? Not my style. Shaping my hair in front of the mirror? I don't have time." We can tell from those two statements that here's a man who doesn't follow the crowd. A man who goes his own way. He's the kind of someone admired by women and men. But, for me, he loses it when he makes the decision to smell like a Parisian brothel.

Because there is nothing more unappealing than a man wearing scent. It's cloying, it's invasive - I really don't want to share a train carriage with these people, stinking up the place like that. I would rather the guy sitting next to me on the train eats stilton cheese while smoking a pipe than stenches of "man scent".

And, to be honest, Hugo's no name for an item of masculinity. Accountants, restaurant managers, estate agents - these are all fine character types for the "Hugo". Go-getting men who choose their own path, who forge their own world, who mark their individuality in everything they do simply are not called Hugo.

As far as I'm concerned, the Hugo advertising campaign makes no scents.

1 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger Steve Goble said...

Regarding the last line...

OWWWWWWWW!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home